Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My New Best Friend...

...who I already don't like very much!
Yep, I finally felt good enough to take my glucose test on Monday. It was just as bad as I remember it! Although, it was better with a straw, and actually I thought it was better lukewarm. It didn't mess my empty stomach up as much as the ice cold one did the first time. Anyway, I got it down and kept it down for an hour (no small feat!) and went to get my blood drawn.

And today the doctor's office called (never a good thing) to tell me that it came back high. She said we had 2 options- schedule the 3 hour test or just presume that I have gestational diabetes and move from there. Since it was nearly impossible for me to get and keep the first dose down for an hour, the thought of trying for the three hour test (pounding it in front of people and then sitting there for 3 hours with nothing to eat since the night before) was not so appealing. So I went with Option A... just presume that I have it again, since, in all likelihood, I do. Today Josh and I went to walmart and bought a meter (I had borrowed the one from last time), and I got it all set up and took my blood sugar this evening (and it was high...). So, anyway, here we go again...

I keep telling myself that it's really a good thing. And, in a lot of ways it is. I'll eat much healthier than I would otherwise, I won't gain as much weight, I'll exercise more, etc., etc., etc. But a big part of me says this just sucks. They did want me to go to the nutritionist again (remember THIS awful appointment?!), but I asked if I really had to. I said I remembered it pretty well from last time (who could forget awful teal leggings and bad dramatic acting: "Is my husband going to catch it from me?!) and my insurance didn't cover it, so could I just skip it this time... the nurse said she'd talk to Dr. B. and let me know. Honestly, even if she recommends it, I probably still won't go. That place was bad for my blood pressure...

So there's the update... on the upside, I am feeling much better, and I felt the baby move several times this week. Not big movements, but just those first few little fluttery ones where you're not sure if it was the baby or you imagined it. Makes me so excited for the big moves and kicks! I am still not sleeping well, so I am so exhausted all the time. But I think that if I get my blood sugar under control, that may help with the exhaustion, too.

Two weeks from tomorrow until the big appointment!!! So excited for that!!

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there, you can do it! I you ever want to chat about GDM, let me know. I have been there twice as well (and only gained 7 pounds my entire 2nd pregnancy!!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh so frustrating for you to have to go through all that again, I'm sorry :( Definitely just hang in there though and maybe it'll go better than last time :) Already praying you don't have to go see that stupid movie....

    ReplyDelete